African showbiz news and entertainment

Anele Tembe death by ‘suicide’ case reopened for further investigation

The South African National Prosecuting Authority has referred the docket of the late Anele ‘Nellie’ Tembe back to the police for further investigations three months after her tragic death at a Cape Town hotel.

Nellie a 21-year-old who was popular for being rapper AKA’s fiancée died in April after she allegedly fell from the 10th floor of the Pepperclub Hotel in Cape Town where AKA was performing.

Her death sparked so much controversy and division in the media as a fraction of the country suggested that she committed suicide while the other section blamed it all on AKA. An investigation by the police was opened to determine the circumstances surrounding her death.

In a press statement by the Western Cape NPA spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila, he said the NPA had returned the case to the police for further investigations.

“The matter concerning the deceased, Ms. Anele Tembe, was referred to the office of the Western Cape director of public prosecutions. The docket was subsequently returned to the police for further investigation.

“Further investigation was requested, as is standard for all matters where the deceased dies of unnatural causes. The matter is still under investigation by the police and is receiving the required attention,” read the statement by Ntabazalila.

This comes after AKA revealed in May that he was not being updated on the status of the inquest police had started. He said that his legal representatives had been asking why his ex-girlfriend and mother of his child, DJ Zinhle as being questioned by detectives who flew from Cape Town to Joburg.

AKA also discussed his ‘tumultuous’ relationship with Anele and events leading to her death during an interview with broadcaster Thembekile Mrototo. He revealed that Anele had previously threatened to kill herself.

“We had been having a particularly difficult week in our relationship, lots of arguments and disagreements. When things took a turn I decided that I should remove myself from the situation.

“I decided that I would book myself into another room and hopefully things will simmer down. I left the room but went back because I had taken her phone and we argued and then Anele had kind of threatened to kill herself, to jump off the balcony,” said AKA.

According to AKA he remembered walking out of the bathroom and not seeing his girlfriend anywhere in the room and he walked to the balcony and saw her body lying lifeless on the street.